Since we put the house up for sale at the end of October, I wanted to make it my goal to document our experience. People make things seem like they’re easy, and I learned quickly that selling a house isn’t easy. It was a lot of work to make fixes you think other people may want, but you don’t really know. Then after you’ve made changes that you won’t be able to enjoy for much longer, the showings start to roll in. You say you won’t get your hopes up, but you do. Every time.

After months and months without any offers, you really start to question if it’ll sell. You can’t fully move forward if the house doesn’t set, unless you have unlimited amounts of money. We don’t, and we took a huge risk to move into place we fell in love with while our house was still on the market. I can’t even begin to tell you how stressful that was, and it really made it hard to completely enjoy living here. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t question moving here and loved it since we moved. But there was this one thing floating around….the house.

We got an offer about a month into living here, and we were elated. There is so much waiting though with our counter then whether or not they would accept. It’s extreme emotions because you go from the excitement of the offer to nerves they won’t accept the counter.

It happened all over again once they accepted; you’re excited they accepted, but then there is the inspection. Following the inspection is this waiting period until close.

I never wanted to be excited because you just don’t know what can happen, and even though things are good to go, we still had possession of the house. Who knows, they could have backed out at any time.

The day of closing was a Monday ago, over a week from writing this blog. I felt good knowing it was here, but didn’t want to be excited until the paperwork was signed. I took off work early and my fiancĂ© and I headed up to the city, however, on my way we got a call from the realtor. Everything was fine…technically. He saw there was a lien on the house for a sewer bill and knowing us didn’t think it was right. He didn’t think it was anything we hadn’t paid, and had to further research it and prove it wasn’t ours.

We got to the closing and they were still working to prove it wasn’t ours. About 30 minutes after sweating it out, all was cleared. We went over the paperwork, he signed it all, and the deed was done. Closed. Out of our possession. It was a freeing feeling.

The freeing feeling lasted until we had watched the news during our celebratory lunch. It was the same day as the Boston bombings. Really put things into perspective that the world just keeps going.

It is great that we’ve closed on the house. Finally free.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s